7 Best Jumper Cables for Car Owners – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
We are all aware that there is no component of a car that’s completely invincible. The battery may drain out due to an electrical problem or when you leave the switch on. If you are equipped with jumper cables right in your car you won’t face any problem. Jumper cables will help you jump start your vehicle by just connecting your empty battery to another source of power such another car’s battery.
However, not all jumper cables you find in our markets are worth buying. You’ve to consider various factors such as material, clip design, gauge, and length among other factors. Luckily, we’ve have made a comprehensive review of the seven best jumper cables to help you make an informed purchase decision.
- 7 Best Jumper Cables - Reviews
- 1. Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge
- 2. Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty Booster Cable
- 3. Cartman Booster Cables 10 Gauge
- 4. Energizer 1-Gauge 800A Heavy Duty Jumper Battery Cables
- 5. Performance Tool W1673 4-Gauge Jumper Cable
- 6. DLUX 200 Amp 10 Gauge No Tangle Battery Booster Cables
- 7. Cartman Booster Cables 6 Gauge Jumper Cable
- What to Look for When Buying a Jumper Cable
- Benefits of Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
- How to Jump Start a Car Battery
7 Best Jumper Cables - Reviews
1. Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge
Editor's Rating: (4.8 / 5)
In case you are caught up in the middle of your journey when your battery drains out, don’t hesitate to use Cartman booster cables. They offer one of the most convenient and safest means of jump starting your car. They have the ability to handle and transfer up to 24V without causing any problems. With a gauge of 4, the cables can deliver enough energy to jumpstart all kinds of trucks. Featuring a patented design, it allows double connection with the battery terminals.
By having a TPR material, this cable can withstand low temperatures of -40 degrees Fahrenheit, hence allowing safe and reliable jump start. They are heavy duty cables that allow you to use it between trucks, cars, vans and all other vehicles. Besides, the clamps feature double grip design for better energy conductivity as well as tension. The clamps also feature triple polarity identification which has UL indent stamped and color coded.
2. Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty Booster Cable
Editor's Rating: (4.5 / 5)
Having this booster cable right in your emergency kit will always give you peace of mind in all situations. By having a thickness gauge of 4, this cable is a heavy duty one that can accommodate energy transfer between various trucks. It has an incredible length of 20 feet making it possible to jump start a car from behind.
They offer the best way of jump starting from a 12V and 24V automobile. They are no-tangle cables making them very easy to use for everyone. It fits nicely to the top and side post batteries. Also, the extended jaw grip design provides a firm attachment to the batteries terminals without slipping off. Moreover, you can use this set in darkness as it features Glow-polarity labels which ensure that you don’t confuse the battery terminals.
3. Cartman Booster Cables 10 Gauge
Editor's Rating: (4.5 / 5)
Regardless of the type of your vehicle, Cartman booster cables offer a convenient way of transferring power from 12V and 24V automobile battery. The design boasts a no tangle and T-Prene coating. Therefore, they are easy to use and possess excellent flexibility as well as easy storage. The clamps are uniquely designed with triple polarity identification which is color coded.
The ergonomic design of these grips ensures easy side as well as top post battery terminal connections. The T-Prene coating ensures that the cables remain active even at -40 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides, by being 10 gauge, you can transfer energy between small cars without any problem. Furthermore, by being 12 feet long, this cable allows easy transfer between car, truck, and SUV.
4. Energizer 1-Gauge 800A Heavy Duty Jumper Battery Cables
Editor's Rating: (4.8 / 5)
This booster cable set is a top rated and one of the best we’ve on the market today. Featuring a copper clad aluminum material, this cable can transfer up to 800 AMP of energy in minutes. It is a 1 gauge cable that is 25 feet long for convenient use. The cables are tangle free thereby eliminating any possible occurrence of inflexibility even when temperatures are as low as -40 degrees Celsius.
Besides, the camps are suited for both side and top post batteries. The clips are insulated with a PVC insulation and are labeled red and black for easier identification.
5. Performance Tool W1673 4-Gauge Jumper Cable
Editor's Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Every detail of this cable set makes them maintain their rank in our best jumper cable reviews. To start with, they are heavy duty and tangle free and rubber coated for use in full-size trucks, SUVS, and vans. The four-gauge thickness ensures a faster way of transferring energy from 12V and 24V batteries.
They can accommodate between 500 and 600 AMP without any error. Besides their heavy duty performance, these cables are 20 feet long to allow easy battery boost regardless of the position of the battery in the vehicle. The clamps are specially designed to accommodate both side and top battery post.
6. DLUX 200 Amp 10 Gauge No Tangle Battery Booster Cables
Editor's Rating: (4.1 / 5)
Featuring a deluxe premium quality. This cable set can work for any form of vehicles at any prevailing climatically conditions. The dual constructions ensure that these cables remain sturdy in all harsh conditions. Featuring no tangles and incredibly 12 feet length. This cable set has outstanding flexibility for use in any vehicle.
It boasts a 200 Amps rating for great energy transfer. Besides, it is 10 gauge in thickness for heavy duty use, and color coded clamps ensure safe connections. Due to the unique construction of these cables, you can comfortably rely on them whenever your car battery dies out. It has continued to embrace a lot of praises as a must have accessory for any car.
7. Cartman Booster Cables 6 Gauge Jumper Cable
Editor's Rating: (4.7 / 5)
This is among the best jumper cables for cars. By having a patented design which features an inside tongue, this set offers the best experience in jump starting your car. It delivers a firm connection to the battery terminals. The twice grips model guarantees better conductivity and tension which are necessary for the quick and safe transfer of power from one battery to the other. The clamp design is perfectly built to comply with both side and top post batteries.
The length is good enough as it is 16 feet thereby allowing the jump start with great ease. The TPR material of the cables ensures easy and dependable service by being temperature resistant. As a matter of fact, this cable can work in virtually any environment with temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius. Besides, with a rating of 400 Amps, this cable is ideal for use with full-size cars, midsized trucks as well as recreational vehicles.
What to Look for When Buying a Jumper Cable
As you have noticed from the above reviews, there are certain specifications that you should always consider when shopping for a booster cable. These include price, gauge or thickness, length, construction, clamps, the material of the wire among other aspects.
It is true that whether a product is either cheap or expensive doesn’t dictate the quality of that product. Price is just there to confuse you. However, depending on your financial situation, you can select a dependable jumper cable if at all you are aware of what makes a good jumper cable. So, all you have to do is take your time and compare the quality of the different brands of jumper which you can afford. After all, there are various cheap jumper cables which boast a super quality design.
#2. Clamp Design
You should go for the sturdy design. You can’t judge how sturdy the design is unless you inquire more about the material of the clamp. Also, some designs are patented such as the double grip designs. These models provide firm grip by ensuring that the grips don’t slip off from your battery terminals.
#3. Width and Gauge
These two terms sound to mean the same, but they have totally different implications when it comes to jumper cables. Well, for the width, some jumper cables feature a fake labeling indicating that the cables are heavy duty. But, you must investigate more about the gauge of the wire. Therefore, Gauges 10, 8 and six are better. But gauge 4 is excellent and will offer more than you need unless you want to jump start a truck or semi-truck.
Length is important because it offers convenient to use especially when the space on the road is limited. When the length of the cable is sufficient, you can even jump start from behind the vehicle. Also, when the batteries of the two cars are located on the opposite sides, a sufficiently long cable will ensure easy reach. 12 inches is the recommended basic length.
#5. Material of the Clip and the Wires
Copper jumper cables are durable, don’t overheat and offer faster conductivity of electrical energy between the two batteries. However, you should be very cautious about counterfeit materials. Some brands only plate their wires with a copper material but the inside is something else. Therefore, you should always consider copper material.
Additionally, it is a brilliant idea to have a voltmeter if your car doesn’t have a built-in voltmeter in its dashboard. A voltmeter will guide you on ensuring that you connect correctly to prevent short circuiting.
Benefits of Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
You need to understand that the lower the gauge of a jumper cable, the thicker the cable. Now thick cables are the ones contently referred to as heavy duty cables. These cables offer several benefits by being heavy duty.
- They allow more current flow which is measured in amperes. So, these wires have a great gauge which cannot get destroyed as a result of the high current flowing through them.
- They possess incredibly large clamps which offer better connection. Also, you don’t have to waste time juggling the clamps trying to get a real connection. These heavy duty clamps provide a straight forward connection with no hassles.
- Heavy duty clamps provide spark protection. You mustn't get your fingers close to the battery terminal connection to clamp these cables. As you well know, heavy current causes sparkling, but with large clamps, you will be safe.
How to Jump Start a Car Battery
- Jump starting battery isn’t hard to provide you follow the instructions below.
- Park both vehicles in a safe parking space and leave the parking lights on
- Both cars must be turned off and the keys removed
- Set the cables so that the terminals don’t touch each other
- Open the hood of both vehicles to locate the batteries
- Attach the red or positive wire to the positive terminal of the dead battery
- Connect the positive clamp of the cable to the positive terminal of the live battery.
- Connect the black or negative terminal of the cable to the negative terminal of the working battery. Now, walk over to the dead battery. However, don’t connect the Jumper cable to the dead battery negative terminal. But, you need to connect to unpainted metal part or engine block surface. This guarantees a safe jump start.
- Start the working vehicle to start charging the dead battery.
- Wait for some time and depending on the age of the battery, this waiting time may differ
- Try starting the dead car, if it fails, give it more time. When the dead battery starts working, disconnect the jumper cables. However, you need to dismantle the connection starting with the negative cable clamps ensuring that the clamps don’t touch each other.
Finally, take a short drive to allow your battery to build up enough charge.
Read More: 10 Best Car Battery Chargers